Monday, November 17, 2014

Wallbanger

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis via Goodreads:
The first night after Caroline moves into her fantastic new San Francisco apartment, she realizes she's gaining an intimate knowledge of her new neighbor's nocturnal adventures. Thanks to paper-thin walls and the guy's athletic prowess, she can hear not just his bed banging against the wall but the ecstatic response of what seems (as loud night after loud night goes by) like an endless parade of women. And since Caroline is currently on a self-imposed dating hiatus, and her neighbor is clearly lethally attractive to women, she finds her fantasies keep her awake even longer than the noise. So when the wall-banging threatens to literally bounce her out of bed, Caroline, clad in sexual frustration and a pink baby-doll nightie, confronts Simon Parker, her heard-but-never-seen neighbor. The tension between them is as thick as the walls are thin, and the results just as mixed. Suddenly, Caroline is finding she may have discovered a whole new definition of neighborly...
In a delicious mix of silly and steamy, Alice Clayton dishes out a hot and hilarious tale of exasperation at first sight...

Okay, this book surprised me. I mean really surprised me. I was expecting a raunchy, badly-written romance with barely developed characters. I was expecting to feel "Eh" about it, enjoy it for the quick read and move on.

But this book was AWESOME.

Now, I know that (unfortunately) the majority of books out there marketed as rom-coms are pretty lousy. Whether they are catering to young-adults or an older audience. And, though, in the past I have indulged in my fair share of cheesy romances, that's all they are to me: cheesy romances. Guilty pleasures that I know don't hold much value, and that I don't go around announcing that I read. THIS book, however was good.


It made me constantly laugh out loud...

...and if I wasn't laughing, I was grinning ear-to-ear. This is a romantic-comedy at its finest. With a confident, hilarious main character and a guy who is totally swoon-worthy (and not just because of his looks). I loved it!!

The banter...

The story follows Caroline, a twenty-six year old interior designer. One of the strongest aspects of this novel is the protagonist. This book would definitely not be the same if Caroline wasn't, well, Caroline. Let me explain... Caroline is awesome in that she happy with who she is. She's pretty, but she is not "perfect". She loves her job and is really good at it. Simply put, she is confident in her own skin. Shocking! I know. But she isn't cocky or obnoxious about it. She doesn't put herself down, or focus on her flaws, or need a man to tell her she is beautiful. And her friends are the same way! I found that very refreshing. It happens too often that girls in novels can't "see their beauty" until someone else sees it for them (*cough* Bella Swan *cough cough*). Caroline is also fucking hilarious. And she knows her way around a kitchen (this book will seriously make you crave zucchini bread).

The love interest and the secondary characters in this book are also great. They have their own stories and I loved seeing all the different relationships unfold. The other characters weren't just "the best friend" or "the hot guy", they (like real people) were more than just their relationship to the main character. Hell, even the cat had personality of his own, and if you've ever had cat, then you know that is completely true to life.

And yes, this book deals with sex, the title is wallbanger after all, but it wasn't about sex. It was about relationships. And sex is a part of relationships. This is the 21st century people, sex shouldn't be taboo. This book was a really well done romantic comedy, those aren't that common unfortunately, so if you're interested in a well-executed read from that genre, I strongly urge you to try this one.

I mean seriously, Wallbanger was...






The author did a fantastic job of mixing humor, romance and interesting characters... So, if you enjoy chick-lit, romantic comedies or just smiling non-stop, pick this book up! Don't let the title turn you off!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment