Saturday, December 27, 2014

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Short Stories
(by all the authors listed below and edited by Stephanie Perkins)


Synopsis via Goodreads:
On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories set during the festive period, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. The stories are filled with the magic of first love and the magic of the holidays.

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell - 5/5
The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link- 3/5
Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Pena- 5/5
Polaris is Where You'll Find Me by Jenny Han - 3/5
It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins- 5/5 (this is my favorite one)
Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan - 4/5
Krampuslauf by Holly Black - 2/5
What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman - 5/5
Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire- 2.5/5
Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White - 3/5
Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter- 3/5
The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer by Laini Taylor - 5/5




I really enjoyed this. It was the perfect book to read over the holidays. It didn't feel repetitive or like reading the same story over and over again. Each story was completely it's own, each author did their own thing. It was great. Although I didn't love every story, I appreciated each one. My favorites were the ones that filled me with warm, happy feelings (Stephanie Perkins' story for instance) but I also really loved seeing whole worlds unfold within a few pages (Laini Taylor's). This book also did a wonderful job of showcasing diversity in some of the short stories, through the sexuality and ethnicity of the characters, which is something that is usually heavily lacking in Christmas stories.

...And that cover though. The picture doesn't even do it justice. It's beautiful and shiny and the edges of the pages are pink, serious props to whoever designed that cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment