Friday, January 16, 2015

Best Books of 2014

So here are my favorite books that I read in 2014...

1. The Unbound (The Archived book two) by Victoria Schwab
I don't even know what to say about this book except that I fell head over heels in love with it. The story, the world, the characters... I was spell-bound. I still think about the characters and the Archive. Please just read this series. It has mystery, beautiful writing, compelling characters and a completely wonderful and unique premise. It's a must read.


2. In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken
This was the final book in the Darkest Minds trilogy and a fantastic conclusion to the series. It was true to the story and wrapped up all the major plots, but it also felt like the ending was a new beginning for the characters. I love this series it is one of my favorites. And I am very happy with how it concluded.


3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
This book was wonderful. Just this one book alone made me love Rainbow Rowell. The main character is so relatable and all the characters in this story feel so real. This book is about fanfiction, overcoming social anxiety, family, friendship and finding love, whatever that may look like. This isn't a fluff book, but it has some very cute moments. It made me happy. Probably the best contemporary I've read.



4. Throne of Glass (and Crown of Midnight) by Sarah J. Maas
This is a phenomenal YA (high) fantasy series. It's probably my favorite that I've read. Fascinating world and kick ass characters. And the main character Caelena is a total BAMF, I mean, she's an assassin, need I say more... I am so excited for this series, it is going to be six books and each one just keeps getting better and better.


5. Shatter Me, Unravel Me and Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
This is a beautifully written story that I really found remarkable. The prose in this book is so breathtaking and I fell in love with the characters. The character arc of the main character, Juliette, is also really great. You really see her grow and find herself in this series. And I think it has a great portrayal of love and finding yourself. A lot of people critique the love story in the first book, but all those issues are addressed and actually serve as part of a greater message in the later two books. Juliette realizes her strength as an individual, she faces a lot of deeply ingrained beliefs about her worth, and in the end is the hero of her own story. More YA books need that kind of message. And in a way the first book almost points out that a flaw in most YA novels is how the female protagonist often only finds her own worth through finding a man. This book turns that on it's head. And it does so with some of the most poetic writing I've read.



6. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
I really enjoyed this book. It has a very dark and gritty feel to it and is one of my favorite vampire books I've read. It's brutal and gory and very cool. It also has sexually diverse characters, which I though was great (unfortunately it's not something you often see depicted in YA).



No comments:

Post a Comment